So, I am way out of the loop with the "water cooler talk" today. It's all about The Game, and the commercials and the half-time show, and the parties.
I missed all of it.
I was reading Sam the Pup with my son, coloring with my girls and then playing a few rounds of Apples to Apples Jr. with all of them just before bedtime. When I finally got around to clicking the tube on, they were handing the trophy to Green Bay.
I will read the articles today on ESPN.com and SI.com. I'll watch a few videos as they rehash the big plays over and over. Sure, I'm curious how it went down. But I don't really feel like I missed out on much...
Except for the movie commercials!!!
So, item Numero Uno on my to-do list today was to search out all of the movie adds that premiered last night. Got to say, I was not let down. Three Super Bowl spots def caught my eye:
First off, as many of you know, I have been sucked in to the little cult that thinks JJ Abrams is an all-knowing all-powerful mega-super wizard with magical skills that allow him to make incredibly awesome picture films. Ever since the teaser hit theatres in the previews before Iron Man 2 back in May 2010 I have been following Super 8. You have to admit one thing about Abrams- the guy knows how to dangle a carrot! That's for sure. So after almost a year now, it was great to get a little more (and it was just a little) footage. And that's all you got. I don't think we understand the plot any more now than we did back in May 2010. I guess I feel like the film has more of an "adventure" feel to it with the latest teaser, and with the initial teaser I got more of a "thriller" feel. So that's different. Different in a good way I say. Also, I definitely see the Spielberg influence in this trailer. I am excited for this movie!!!
Next one I found was the new Captain America teaser. Every geek eye in the world is on this film. EVERYBODY knows who Captain America is- whether they like him or not. For over 70 years now Steve Rogers has been a staple of our comic world. Captain America is the great constant reminding us of all the ideals of what the good ol US of A used to stand for. The guy comes from an era that I can barely comprehend. The same place Grandpa came from. A time and place when morals actually existed. For an entire generation he embodied every father, son and brother that went off to fight evil. He was the original Uncle Sam incarnate (not the tax-collecting Uncle Sam of today) off to bash in the heads of the Axis. Captain America is the Fighting Spirit that once existed in the USA. Before we became all entitled and self-loathing.
Needless to say, I get a little peeved when cynics cast him off as a goof. Even more so when they make him out to be a politcal tool, or a "gimick" from the extreme right just because of his patriotic themed costume. You see, unfortunately wrapping yourself in the American flag has come to mean very little today. In fact, I would dare say there are those who abuse the privilege of enshrouding themselves in the stars and stripes- without an inkling of the sacrifice that brought it to existance and maintained it's significance. But the Cap stands as a reminder that divided we fall- a concept totally lost on this generation's warring two-party system.
Am I waxing nostalgic and idealistic on a stupid little movie trailer? Sure. I guess so. But let me tell you something, there are a LOT of other geeks out there like me, who have hopes and dreams of what a Captain America movie could be. We hold the source material as pert near sacred. We are all excited and nervous and just a plain mess for the release of this movie. I, for one, am very encourage and excited by this latest trailer. Captain America looks tremendously promising!
And finally, we look with cautious optimism toward the third installment of my beloved childhood cartoon-themed movies: Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon. People have REALLY hated on Bay's first two. They were not without their faults- no doubt. But I feel like a lone ranger by being one who has really enjoyed them. What can I say? Michael Bay is really good at one thing- BLOWING CRAP UP! Watching giant robots battling across planet earth, shape-shifting into awesome cars and jets and stuff... yah, I guess that's my shtick! I mean, Chicago looks like it just gets decimated! Who wouldn't watch that? And at the end of the trailer, when Optimus swoops in and starts kickin' robot stuff! Oh sheesh!!!! If you watched the first two movies and hated them, just do me a favor and watch this trailer and then try and tell me you're not thinkin' "Wow! That looks pretty intense."
So cool that you played with your kids instead of watching the friggin' superbowl. I applaud you. However, I can understand your interest in movie trailers. I've been excited about Transformers 3 (what was wrong with the first 2?), but I didn't know about Captain America or Super 8. Very exciting.
ReplyDeletePS - Have you heard about World War Z? It's not coming out for quite awhile, but it's post zombie apocalypse. Heck yes!